Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Nursing school round two!

Today was my first day of clinical to become a family nurse practitioner (FNP). This is like residency for nurses going for their masters. But we choose our specialty from the get-go and training is not as intense.

Compared to nursing school round one I am SoOoo much more relaxed. My nerves were on edge the night before but once there I feel like I know what I am dioing and talking about. While I don't have the assessment skills yet I do know lots of medications and typical problem presentations from working inpatient at the hospital.

I think clinicals will be particularly exciting because the FNP I work with does the health and physicals of inpatient committed psych patients. My best friend Jade is a psych nurse practitioner and hooked me up ;)

One thing I learned today, which I partially expected, was that the assessment portion is not as indepth because most patients do not have the tracking capacity to follow the detailed questions.  This site should lead to great stories and really prepare me for any psych patients I may come across in primary practice.